Timm Faulwasser has studied Engineering Cybernetics at the University of Stuttgart, with majors in systems and control, and philosophy. From 2008 until 2012 he was a member of the International Max Planck Research School for Analysis, Design and Optimization in Chemical and Biochemical Process Engineering Magdeburg. In 2012 he obtained his PhD from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Engineering, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany. From 2013 to 2016 he was with the Laboratoire d’Automatique, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, while 2015-2019 he was leading the Optimization and Control Group at the Institute for Automation and Applied Informatics at Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT), where he successfully completed his habilitation in the Department of Informatics in 2020. Since November 2019 he holds the professorship for Energy Efficiency at TU Dortmund University, Germany.
His main research interests are optimization-based and predictive control of nonlinear and network systems with applications in energy, process systems engineering, climate economics and beyond.
S. Sass, T. Faulwasser, D. Hollermann, C. Kappatou, D. Sauer, T. Schütz, D. Shu, A. Bardow, L. Gröll, V. Hagenmeyer, D. Müller, A. Mitsos. “Model compendium, data, and optimization benchmarks for sector-coupled energy systems”. In: Computers and Chemical Engineering 135 (2020), 106760.
A. Engelmann, Y. Jiang, B. Houska, T. Faulwasser. "Decomposition of non-convex optimization via bi-level distributed ALADIN." IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems (2020). DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2020.3005079
C. Kellett, S. Weller, T. Faulwasser, L. Grüne, W. Semmler. “Feedback, dynamics, and optimal control in climate economics”. In: Annual Reviews in Control 47 (2019). pp. 7–20.
T. Faulwasser, L. Grüne, M. Müller. “Economic nonlinear model predictive control: stability, optimality and performance”. In: Foundations and Trends in Systems and Control 5:1 (2018), pp. 1–98.
T. Faulwasser, M. Korda, C.N. Jones, D. Bonvin. “On turnpike and dissipativity properties of continuous-time optimal control problems”. In: Automatica 81 (2017), pp. 297–304.
- Google scholar: https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=nJNp9yQAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
- Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Timm_Faulwasser
- VDI GMA
- IEEE (Control Systems Society and Power Systems Society)
- Gesellschaft für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik e.V. (GAMM)
- GAMM Activity Group Dynamics and Control (FA Dynamik und Regelungstheorie): Chair for Control of the activity group
- IFAC TC 2.3 Non-Linear Control Systems
- IFAC TC 2.4 Optimal Control
- IFAC TC 6.1 Chemical Process Control
- GMA FA 1.40 Systemtheorie und Regelungstechnik
- GMA FA 1.50 Grundlagen vernetzter Systeme
- Associate Editor IEEE Control Systems Letters
- Associate Editor Mathematics of Control Signals and Systems
- Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control
- Associate Editor European Journal of Control (2018 - 2022)
- Guest editor of the introduction to the IEEE Control Systems Letters Special Section on Data-Driven Analysis and Control, IEEE Control Systems Letters (Volume 7). DOI: 10.1109/LCSYS.2023.3271448, 2023.
- Guest editor, jointly with Antonio Ferramosca of a special issue on MPC for Energy Systems: Economic and Distributed Approaches in Optimal Control – Applications and Methods (OCAM), Wiley. DOI: 10.1002/oca.2573, 2020.
- Guest editor, jointly with Simone Göttlich and Karl Worthmann of a special issue on Mathematical Innovations for the Energy Transition – Control and Optimization in at – Automatisierungstechnik, 2020.
- Joint editorship with Matthias Müller and Karl Worthmann of Recent Advances in Model Predictive Control: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Springer, 2021.
Conference Editorial Activities
- 23rd International Conference on Process Control, 2020
- 25th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS), 2022
- American Control Conference, 2016 - 2021
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2015 - 2022
- 21st IFAC World Congress, 2020
- 22nd IFAC World Congress, 2023
- 24th International Conference on Process Control, 2023
- 7th IFAC Workshop on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Methods for Nonlinear Control (LHMNC), 2021
- 8th IFAC Workshop on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Methods for Nonlinear Control (LHMNC), 2024
- Area Chair "Economic MPC" for 7th IFAC Conference for Nonlinear Model Predictive Control, 2021
- Associate Editor Conference Editorial Board of the IEEE Control System Society (IEEE CSS), 2015 - 2022
01/2020 Outstanding Service as Reviewer for IEEE Control Systems Letters (L-CSS) in 2019.
01/2019 Outstanding Service as Reviewer for IEEE Control Systems Letters (L-CSS) in 2018.
08/2018 Keynote Talk 6th IFAC Conference on Nonlinear Model Predictive Control, August 2018 Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
06/2018 Audience choice award (poster) A. Murray, T. Faulwasser and V. Hagenmeyer: Assessment of a multi-agent mixed-integer optimization algorithm for battery scheduling, ACM e-Energy 2018, 9th ACM Int. Conference on Future Energy Systems, Karlsruhe.
01/2018 Outstanding Service as Reviewer for IEEE Control Systems Letters (L-CSS) in 2017.
11/2017 International Discovery Award, Australian Research Council.
02/2017 – 11/2020 Postdoctoral fellow of the Daimler und Benz Stiftung, Ladenburg.
10/2016 – 10/2019 KIT Associate Fellow at Department for Computer Science, Karlruhe Institute of Technology
11/2015 – 10/2019 Fellow of the Elite Programme for Postdocs of the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung.
06/2015 Keynote Talk 9th International Symposium on Advanced Control of Chemical Processes (ADCHEM), June, 2015, Whistler, Kanada.
03/2010 Best PhD Student Presentation, 6. Elgersburg Workshop on Mathematical Systems Theory, 2010.
02/2010 Best Paper Award: T. Faulwasser, B. Kern, P. Varutti & R. Findeisen. Prädiktive Regelung nichtlinearer Systeme unter asynchronen Mess- und Stellsignalen, at – Automatisierungstechnik, p. 279-286, 2009.
02/2010 Best Presentation Award 44. Regelungstechnisches Kolloquiums Boppard.
07/2023 Open invited track at 2023 IFAC World Congress Yokohama. Topic: Data-driven Methods in Control: Analysis, Feedback Design and Optimization. Joint effort with K. Worthmann (TU Ilmenau), J. Berbereich (University of Stuttgart), F. Dörfler (ETH Zürich), P. Rapisarda (University of Southampton), and H.J. van Waarde (University of Groningen). (Link)
07/2023 Pre-conference Workshop at the IFAC World Congress 2023, Yokohama. Data-driven Predictive Control: Whence and Whither? Joint effort with K. Worthmann (TU Ilmenau). (Link)
07/2022 Special session on Data-driven and learning-based methods at 15th Viennese Conference on Optimal Control and Dynamic Games, Vienna. Joint effort with K. Worthmann (TU Ilmenau).
02/2023 Virtual seminar of the IFAC Technical Committee on Optimal Control. Topic: Optimization-based control and learning. Joint effort with Thulasi Mylvaganam (Imperial College London, UK).
05&06/2022 Virtual seminar of the IFAC Technical Committee on Optimal Control. Topic: Trends in software and tools for optimal and predictive control. Joint effort with Thulasi Mylvaganam (Imperial College London, UK).
05/2022 Trends in dissipativity in systems and control, Brig, Switzerland. Joint effort with Matthias Voigt (UniDistance.ch) and Benjamin Unger (Uni Stuttgart). Support by the Swiss National Fonds.
12/2021 Virtual seminar of the IFAC Technical Committee on Optimal Control. Topic: Data-driven Methods in Control (2). Joint effort with Thulasi Mylvaganam (Imperial College London, UK).
10/2021 Indo-German Symposium on Machine Learning and Control for Energy Systems. Joint effort with Ashish Hota (IIT Kharagpour).
10/2021 Invited session at 7th IFAC Workshop on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Methods for Nonlinear Control, Berlin. Topic: Trends in Dissipativity-based Control. Joint effort with K. Worthmann and J. Reger (both TU Ilmenau).
07/2021 Panel discussion at 7th IFAC Conference on Nonlinear Model Predictive Control (IFAC NMPC) 2021. Topic: Teaching MPC – Which way to the promised land? Joint effort with M. Mönnigmann (RU Bochum), M. Schulze Darup and S. Lucia (both TU Dortmund).
07/2021 Virtual seminar by the IFAC Technical Committee on Optimal Control. Topic: Data-driven Methods in Control (1). Joint effort with K. Worthmann (TU Ilmenau) and Thulasi Mylvaganam (Imperial College London, UK).
03/2021 Minisymposium on Dissipativity, Turnpikes and Optimal Control at the 91th Annual meeting of Gesellschaft für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik (GAMM), Kassel. Joint effort with L. Grüne (Universität Bayreuth).
07/2020 Open invited track at 2020 IFAC World Congress Berlin. Topic: Uncertainty Quantification in Control and Optimization – Tools, Methods and Applications. Joint effort with S.Streif (TU Chemnitz), S. Gerster (RWTH Aachen) and R. Schenkendorf (TU Braunschweig).
03/2018 Workshop Prädiktive Regelung im Zeichen industrieller Anwendungen, Berlin; .; Joint effort with J. Pannek (Universität Bremen), S. Lucia (TU Berlin) and M. Stieler (Universität Bayreuth).
01/2018 661. Wilhelm-und-Else Heraeus Seminar on Nonlinear Dynamics, Optimization and Control of Distributed Energy Systems, joint effort with J. Knebel (KIT), D. Witthaut and M. Robinius (both Forschungszentrum Jülich).
12/2017 Invited session auf der 2017 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control: Advances on Optimal Power Flow – Stochastic and Robust Approaches. Joint effort with F. Dörfler (ETH Zürich).
12/2017 Pre-conference workshop at 2017 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control: Economic Nonlinear Model Predictive Control. Joint effort with M. Müller (Universität Stuttgart) and L. Grüne (Universität Bayreuth).
07/2017 Open invited track at 2017 IFAC World Congress Toulouse, France. Topic: Nonlinear Model Predictive Control for Mechatronic Systems and Motion Control. Joint effort with J. Pannek (Universität Bremen) and A. Alessandretti (University of Porto).
07/2017 Open invited track at 2017 IFAC World Congress Toulouse, France. Topic: Real-Time Optimization of Uncertain Process Systems. Joint effort with A. Marchetti (EPFL), G. Francois (University of Edinburgh), and D. Bonvin (EPFL).
03/2016 Workshop on Economic and Distributed Model Predictive Control an der École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne 21.-23. März, 2016; joint effort with C. Jones (EPFL) and K. Worthmann (TU Ilmenau).
06/2014 Minisymposium on Optimization and Optimization-based Control Methods for Industrial Applications at European Conference of Mathematics in Industry 2014 (ECMI 2014), Taormina, Italy; joint effort with K. Flaßkamp, Universität Paderborn.
03/2012 Young Researchers' Minisymposium on Trends in Model Predictive Control at 83. Jahrestagung der Gesellschaft für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik (GAMM), Darmstadt; joint effort with K. Worthmann, TU Ilmenau.